Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret, available for rental on Prime Video
Why We Made This Selection and Background Knowledge
Julie: I remember reading the book in grade school and hating it.
Claire: I read the book maybe 20-25ish years ago. And that’s it. I re-read it for this though.
Overall Opinion of the Movie
Claire: It didn’t seem as childish as the book, so that made me happy.
Julie: Love the soundtrack. The movie was fine. Just fine.
Overall Opinion of the Book
Julie: Hated it as a kid. Still don’t like it. I just could not relate to any aspect of it, the desire to grow up and get boobs/period, the religion angle, the close relationship with a grandparent.
Claire: Meh. It isn’t bad, but I guess maybe just weird reading something from the POV of someone so young. I do remember I did not think that when I read the book years ago.
Before you say which you liked better, did you read the book or listen to the audiobook… because it matters.
Claire: I read a paperback.
Julie: I read a paperback.
Which was better?
Julie: The movie
Claire: The movie
- Was the outcome the same in both the show and the book? Yes
- Was the main character/primary narrator the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Was the primary conflict the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Would you read the book again or recommend it to a friend? No
- Would you watch the show/movie again or recommend it to a friend? No
Overall rating: 3/5