Here are some of our favorite family activities during this weekend of love…
Friday, February 13, 2015 to Sunday February, 15, 2015
Milton Winter Festival
Join community members of all ages for this annual winter celebration the weekend of February 13-15! The ever-popular Friday night “Party in the Park” features laser tag, ice skating, snow shoeing, bonfire, hot cocoa, light refreshments and a spectacular fireworks display!
On Saturday, the fun continues with a community celebrity breakfast including games provided by the Big Blue Trunk, then a guided snowshoe excursion, sledding, plus two different dance parties that evening.
On Sunday, head back in Bombardier Park with sleigh rides, sled dogs, ice skating, snow games and, of course, Milton Public Library’s chili cook-off.
For More Information: https://vermontmoms.com/event/milton-winter-festival/
Saturday, February 14, 2015
Igloo Build @ Montshire Museum
Learn the inside scoop of building a simple-yet-elegant igloo and other snow dwellings from expert Dr. Bert Yankielun. Come experience Igloo Build, one of the longest-running traditions at the Museum. Learn how to build an insulated, sturdy house, strong enough to support the weight of a polar bear.
Dubbed the #1 Way to Winter Fun by Yankee Magazine (Jan ’09) and a “Top 10 Winter Event” in 2009-2010 by the Vermont Chamber of Commerce, the Igloo Build is fun for the whole family. The host of the event is Dr. Bert Yankielun, engineer and author of the book How to Build an Igloo and Other Snow Structures. Join him on the Museum grounds at 10:30 a.m. for a demonstration. Learn the structural secrets of building with snow, from making an initial snow angel to placing the final block on the dome to sawing yourself out. Then try your own hand at building an igloo! Indoor activities and presentations included throughout the day.
Cost: Programs free with museum admission: $14 for adults, $11 for children 2–17, free for members and children under 2 years of age.
For More Information: https://vermontmoms.com/event/igloo-build/
Sunday, February 15, 2015
Weather permiting enjoy 3 miles of XC Ski trails in Burlington’s invtervale
- Free ski and snowshoe rentals for the whole family, thanks to Burlington Parks & Rec, Skirack, and Winooski Valley Park District
- Kids’ activities and games, thanks to Winooski Valley Park District
- Delicious food and drink for purchase
- Lessons and demonstrations
- Learn how to identify trees in winter on nature walks with the Intervale Conservation Nursery.
- From Burlington, take North Winooski Avenue north to Riverside Avenue.
- At light, make left onto Intervale Road.
- Continue 1/2 mile, cross train tracks and pass Gardener’s Supply.
- Parking area is on the right just after the road turns to dirt.
The trail may also be accessed from the north, near Ethan Allen Homestead.
- Take the Rt. 127 ramp to Ethan Allen Homestead and find a small parking lot just to the right. The trail is to the right of the parking lot.
For More Information: https://vermontmoms.com/event/wintervale/