The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
The Summer I Turned Pretty on Prime Video
Why We Made this Selection and Background Knowledge
Claire: I’ve heard of the book and knew it had been popular in the YA crowd for a while, but YA isn’t really my thing so I hadn’t read it.
Julie: None other than seeing people talk about the show. Once I saw the author’s name, I knew her from To All The Boys I Loved Before.
Before you say which you liked better, did you read the book or listen to the audiobook… because it matters.
Julie: Read the physical book
Claire: Read on Kindle
Overall Opinion of the Book
Claire: I confirmed my theory that YA isn’t my thing. Too much teenage drama. I also really didn’t like how the book kept going back and forth between her ages.
Julie: Overall I like it. It’s cute. Fluff like Cotton candy. Very predictable but not exactly relatable (at least not in my experience.)
Overall Opinion of the Show
Claire: I didn’t mind the show. I feel like they showed a lot more about Steven in the show than we learned about him in the book. We also saw a lot more of the mothers. There was some of that petty teenage drama that I can’t stand. But all that being said, I was also crying like a baby at the end.
Julie: I liked the show but it definitely made me feel old. It had a great soundtrack. I also liked the additional storylines.
Which was better, the Book or the Movie?
Julie: The Show
Claire: The Book
- Was the outcome the same in both the show and the book? No
- Was the main character/primary narrator the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Was the primary conflict the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Would you read the book again or recommend it to a friend? Julie: Yes, Claire: No
- Would you watch the show/movie again or recommend it to a friend? Julie: Yes, Claire: No
Overall rating: Julie – 4/5, Claire – 2/5