Watch this: Emma. Movie on Amazon Prime
Why We Made This Selection and Background Knowledge
Julie: I knew it was Jane Austen. I saw the movie pop up and recognized Anya Taylor Joy.
Claire: Well-known book by Jane Austen. Never read it, but aware there are a few versions of the movie.
Overall Opinion of the Book
Claire: I thought it was okay, but hard to follow. I think if I tried to eyeball read it, I might have a different opinion, but once you listen to something and then switch to reading it, it’s hard to separate the book from the narrator in your head. I would be open to reading it again once I don’t associate the narrator’s voice with it anymore.
Julie: It was a hard read for me and I’m embarrassed to admit it. Aside from that, once I started listening, I enjoyed it.
Overall Opinion of the Movie
Julie: I liked the bright colors, humor, and the pace.
Claire: I wasn’t too into it at first, but I really liked it by the end. I was surprised with some of the colors, patterns, and styles of the time. There were a few times I thought they tried to make things too funny, but other than that, I enjoyed it.
Before you say which you liked better, did you read the book or listen to the audiobook… because it matters.
Claire: Listened on Audible.
Julie: Listened on Audible.
Which was better?
Julie: The movie
Claire: The movie
- Was the outcome the same in both the show and the book? Yes
- Was the main character/primary narrator the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Was the primary conflict the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Would you read the book again or recommend it to a friend? Yes
- Would you watch the show/movie again or recommend it to a friend? Yes
Overall rating: 5/5