Conversations with Friends on Hulu (limited series)
Why We Made this Selection and Background Knowledge
Julie: I did not know much about this book or show at all aside from knowing that Taylor Swift’s BF was in the show.
Claire: I had no background knowledge other than knowing it’s a popular book.
Before you say which you liked better, did you read the book or listen to the audiobook… because it matters.
Julie: I listened because I just could not read another book without quotation marks.
Claire: I listened to the audiobook.
Overall Opinion of the Book
Julie: It wasn’t for me. About 3/4 of the way through I started to think I read it before but I’m almost certain I haven’t.
Claire: I went into this with low expectations, but I actually ended up liking the book more than I thought I would.
Overall Opinion of the Show
Julie: Bobbi in the show is really unlikeable. The pace is pretty slow and the vibes are definitely the same as Normal People. So… interpret that how you will.
Claire: I had a really hard time with this show. It did not hold my interest at all. Even though it followed the book in most places, it was not holding my attention.
Which was better?
Julie: The book
Claire: The book
- Was the outcome the same in both the show and the book? Yes
- Was the main character/primary narrator the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Was the primary conflict the same in the show and the book? Yes
- Would you read the book again or recommend it to a friend? No
- Would you watch the show/movie again or recommend it to a friend? No
Overall rating: 3/5