Listen to Tell Me More on:
Brad and Angelina’s Relationship History
- Met in the summer of 2004 while filming Mr. and Mrs. Smith (“Not a lot of people get to see a movie where their parents fell in love,” Jolie said in an article for the NY Times)
- Brad was married to Jennifer Aniston at the time, however, they announced their separation. They had been married for 5 years.
- In March 2005, Aniston officially files for divorce from Pitt, citing “irreconcilable differences.”
- April 2005 – Brad and Angelina are spotted vacationing together in Kenya
- July 2005 – The couple is featured in a spread in W magazine titled, Domestic Bliss. It’s reported that the photos for the spread were actually taken in March 2005.
- October 2005 – Brad and Jen’s divorce is final.
- January 2006 – Brad and Angie announce she is pregnant with their first child together
- May 2006 – Their daughter Shiloh Jolie-Pitt is born in Namibia
- December 2006 – They make their red carpet debut at the NYC premiere of The Good Shepherd.
- March 2007 – Brad and Angie adopt 3-year-old Pax from Vietnam
- February 2008 – the couple announces Angelina is expecting again, this time twins!
- July 2008 -Twins Knox and Vivienne are born
- April 2011 – engagement rumors are confirmed
- August 2014 – the couple weds at their home, Chateau Miraval in France (we’ll come back to the chateau later…)
- September 14, 2016 – The flight from hell (we’ll be back to this too…)
- Four days later, on September 20, 2016 – Jolie filed for divorce from Brad Pitt, citing irreconcilable differences.
- Six years later, they are still not officially divorced and have yet to come to a custody agreement over their remaining minor children.
All About the Flight
- Flight from Nice, France to LA – with one stop on the East coast of the US (which tells me the situation must not have been too dire until later in the flight.) – about 14-15 hours
- All 8 family members were on board
- Brad reportedly got v. drunk
- They began arguing in the bathroom – He allegedly grabbed them by the head and shook her, pushed her into a wall, and punched the plane’s ceiling. (What were they arguing about? I’ve got suspicions… one report said it was about one of the children)
- When they came out of the bathroom, Pitt reportedly said, “She’s ruining this family, she’s crazy.”
- Maddox, who is currently 21, reportedly replied by saying, “It’s not her, it’s you, you prick.” At the time, he was a minor – 15
- Pitt allegedly ran towards him at which point Angelina stepped in and wrapped her arms around his neck in a chokehold.
- At this point, Brad slammed Angelina backward injuring her back and elbow.
- It’s also reported that at a certain point, Brad poured a beer over Angelina’s head and red wine was spilled.
- At the end of the flight, Jolie claimed that Pitt held the family back from deplaning for about 20 minutes after she told him she was taking the kids to a hotel. She said he yelled, “You’re not taking my f–king kids” and that he pushed her.
- Between the physical damage to the ceiling of the plane and the beer and red wine stains, it’s reported there was more than $25,000 in damage to the plane.
- Upon landing in LA, they were met by the FBI and Child protective service.
Why the FBI? The FBI has jurisdiction over crimes that take place in the sky.
Brad has maintained that he did not physically harm anyone – A source said, “He is emphatic that it did not reach the level of physical abuse, that no one was physically harmed. He did not hit his child in the face in any way. He did not do that; he is emphatic about that. He put his hands on him, yes, because the confrontation was nose to nose and was spiraling out of control.”
Pitt was cleared by the FBI when it concluded the investigation in November 2016 with no charges.
The Los Angeles Department of Child and Family Services also concluded its investigation into the incident with no findings of abuse
The reason all of this is in the news again?
In April of 2022, Jane Doe filed a FOIA request, seeking all documents related to an investigation concerning Pitt.
It’s come out that Jane Doe is in fact Angelina Jolie and it’s speculated that she made this request to find out why no criminal charges were brought against her ex following the 2016 flight that led her to file for divorce.
A source close to Pitt insisted that all parties had been sent copies of all reports pertaining to the incident, adding: “Angelina and her team have been desperately trying to find something. This is all for show. This is all information that she already had five and a half years ago. There is nothing new here.” The implication is that she only filed the FOIA request to make the document public in order to sway public opinion and the custody dispute.
But why would she do this? Well, they’re still fighting over custody of the minor children. And the custody dispute has been a wild ride too, with Angelina requesting the judge be disqualified after he didn’t allow the children to testify and awarded Pitt tentative joint custody.
The judge was eventually disqualified for having a business relationship with Pitt’s counsel, however, all documents in the custody case are sealed so we may not get much more info on this case.
Okay So Tell Me About the Chateau/Vineyard
So the avian drama is not the only drama going down lately. Brad and Angelina were recently in court fighting over their Chateau Mirival.
In February of this year, Brad filed suit against Angelina alleging she unlawfully sold her interests in a winery they purchased together in 2008.
Back in 2008, the couple bought a controlling stake in the South of France vineyard and home Château Miraval.
Pitt filed new court documents Friday at Los Angeles County Superior Court and claimed Jolie intentionally “sought to inflict harm on” him by selling her interests in the wine company. Pitt says they had agreed to never sell their respective shares without the other’s permission. He also asked for a trial by jury.
Here’s Angelina’s side as relayed by her rep: After making multiple offers to her ex-husband, and knowing the business will be inherited by their children, she found a business partner with experience in the alcohol industry.
However, Pitt’s side points out that This makes no sense. The best way to retain value for the family would have been for one of their parents to retain ownership of an increasingly valuable asset. Brad could have bought her out. There’s a lot more value in a family owning 100 percent than 40 to 50 percent.
Is it even worth fighting for? Well, Pitt’s lawyers state that the winery became his “passion” project, expanding “into a multimillion-dollar global business and one of the world’s most highly regarded producers of rosé wine” because of his efforts. The actor accuses Jolie of contributing “nothing to Miraval’s success.”
You might be thinking… so he still owns the same percentage… what’s it matter who owns the other half? His legal team also alleges she intentionally violated their agreement in October when she allegedly hid the sale of her shares to Tenute del Mondo, which is “bent on taking control of Miraval” and is “indirectly owned and controlled by Yuri Shefler, the Russian billionaire who controls the Stoli Group.”
If you don’t know, Yuri Shefler is a bad dude. He’s a Russian Oligarch – nuff said.
Why else have I heard about this Chateau lately?
Oh, that’s because it was recently reported that Brad was duped big time by a con man who told him there was buried treasure on the property. In the interview with GQ, Pitt revealed that he was told that there are millions of dollars worth of gold, buried on the grounds during the Crusades, however, despite spending a year trying to locate the treasure with radar equipment, the actor came up empty-handed.
Turns out, he just wanted to get Pitt to invest in his radar company. Pitt later realized that the man who told him the initial tall tale had been seeking investments for a radar company. It was not clear if it was the same equipment that he bought for the dig.